Monday, April 1, 2013

This Is Me

This is a picture of me my granddaughter took in August. She said I am beautiful. I saw no beauty in it. In fact, I was horrified by what I saw. Somehow, somewhere (through no fault of mine, I'm certain), I gained weight. Not only did I gain weight, I got flabby. 

My blog has been about loss and grief and life events and I've been brutally honest about my thoughts and feelings through some rough spots. Really rough spots. This is another rough spot for me. I'm not happy with how I look.
 
Let me change that a little. I wasn't happy with how I looked. I gained more weight after this picture was taken and did nothing to change it. I just didn't like myself so I didn't look at myself. Just now as I looked for pictures to post, I couldn't find any. Hhmmm....wonder why?!
 
This winter I started a conversation with my friend at work. My friend who used to be a trainer. She gave me a few tips. And a few magazines. And a few more tips. And an entire meal plan. And advice on exercise. And encouragement. And a challenge. And compliments. And support. And friendship. And results.
 
Since December I have lost 26 pounds. I dropped 2 dress sizes. I got stronger. I made better food choices. I started looking in the mirror again. I worked out. I even went to water aerobics. 
 
And then I stopped.
 
For a day. Then two. Then three. Then a week. Then two. You get the idea.
 
Then my friend kicked me in the butt!
 
So here it is. April 1, 2013. One week before I turn 58, the age my father was when he died. The day I decide to challenge myself to do this. To get back on track. To work at this again. To continue getting healthy, to face my fears and challenges, and share them.

Feel free to join me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Peg said...

Hey Bonnie,
Glad you are back writing again...and yes ma'me I will join you. Please read my Whimsey blog and my two new blogs http://fitat99.blogspot.com (a blog about my stuggle with weight loss) and http://achillesblog.com/torngoals/ (a blog I am writing as I recover from Achilles Tendon surgery. I know so so well the agony of "and then I skipped a day, then two, then three, then a week, then two. Girlfriend I am there with you, but bound and determined to get back as soon as the doctor gives his OK. Hope to see more on your blog about this journey we share. Peg

Bonnie Smith said...

Good to hear from you Peg. Sorry to hear of the surgery! Hope you're bouncing back. I'll check out your blogs. I hope all else is well!
Take care and stay in touch...

Peggie said...

Ah, I haven't been here since Christmas - I see you've been busy in more ways than one! How brave to share something so personal as this with your readers. And how wonderful that you're letting people really see the difference. I thought you were just as wonderful before. Now there's less of you to love, but the amount of love doesn't change. Stay well, friend.