Monday, August 15, 2011

Change

A flock of geese, their V stark against the brilliant blue of the sky over the Reservation, their calls to each other lingering along with their shadows, brought with them the realization that the season is shortening. The sun sets earlier, the air cools sooner when a cloud hides the sun and our summer is passing.

I usually welcome Fall, look forward to the shorter days, the crisp air. The athletic fields of our local school are two blocks from our house and on fall nights the lights shine above the trees and the cheers of the crowd float to us and we count the touchdowns and goals by those sounds. All of these things, along with sweatshirts, fewer meals cooked on the grill and the rhythm of the school schedule separate Summer from Fall and I like the move indoors.

But this year, this year of change for me, I find myself missing summer already. I find myself hoping September is as warm as July was. That Fall won't be early.

Watching those geese fly overhead, watching them begin their journey toward winter made me stop and appreciate the summer. That is new for me.

No comments: