Thursday, August 11, 2011

Melissa and Gayle...


Tonight two of my dearest friends are together ( I exclude my sister from this list of friends...no one can come close to who she is to me), they are together away from me, away from me in miles but not in spirit. They are together for drinks and dinner in Montana and I am alone in a hotel room in Maine....miles separate us, but tonight I have had calls from them and even without those calls, without those familiar voices, I was with them.

These friends, these two women I introduced to each other, are friends to me in a manner no others can compare to. They are women I trust, women I love, women I have lived with and worked with and shared with in ways that cannot compare to other friends. These two women are friends who know me on a level I find myself at a loss to explain. They are the friends who came in to my life later, arrived at an age when I didn't think I would find new friends, when I thought all the people I knew were already in my life. They are old friends who are new.

I didn't expect these friendships, this late in life recognition of kindred spirits and I am blessed to have them. They do not share my history, but they do share so much with me, so much that many of my long time friends would find foreign, would not understand. I have stood with these women in the chaos of work, in the heat of the mission field and in the comfort of my home. But, regardless of where we stood, we stood together.

Tonight my friends were together and although I was alone, I was with them.

No comments: