Saturday, August 20, 2011

A New Life


Soon, very soon, we will welcome our grandson into our family (as you can clearly see from this picture...). He is due to arrive mid-September but we are ready for him any time he chooses to join us.

Today I watched people show my daughter how much they love her, how much they care, how they share with her the anticipation of this life. Today, she and her husband and their son were showered with this love and I was there to see it, to feel it and to recognize how loved she is. Today I got to love her all over again as I remembered how I felt when I carried her, when I had her all to myself in a way that only mothers know.

We cried together today, something we don't do often. We cried when she opened a gift, a simple gift, a gift of a blanket. A blanket for her baby.

My grandson will have a blanket like his mother has, one stitched by hand with a flannel backing. One with animals and bright colors and love sewn into every thread. The difference between this blanket and the one my daughter, her sister, her brother and all her cousins have is this one was not made by my mother. This one, this blanket filled with the love of a family was made by her husband's Aunt.

How fortunate for my grandson to be surrounded by such people. How fortunate for my daughter. How fortunate for us all.

No comments: